Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dehydrated Apple Slices

I've never really played with dehydrated food.  Today I tried out two different recipes.  Apple Brown Betty and Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies.  Both were made with dehydrated apple slices that I got at the Home Storage Center many years ago.  Seriously, at least 8 years ago.  

The Apple Brown Betty was a cinch to make.  I'd make that one again.  It turned out to be more like an apple crisp.  I would never have known it was made with 8 year old dehydrated apple slices. 

The Applesauce Oatmeal Cookie were fine but I screwed them up.  I made the mistake of not reading the directions on how to make applesauce from the apple slices.  So, after soaking them, I had some brain warp that did not let me thing through the problem of how to make it into applesauce.  I ended up using a ricer.  Please don't do that.  I ended up squirting apple guck all over the place including my hair and clothes.  I can laugh about it though.  I didn't have enough liquid nor enough riced apples.  Why oh why did I not think to use the blender?  I guess I've just shown how NOT to do something.  That's also very important.  Glad I could help.

I've included the recipes from the blog preparednessmatters.blogspot.com that I used today.  All in all I was happy with my endeavors.  Dehydrated food is not so scary after all.  

1 comment:

Sarah Kay said...

That's a great image - thanks for the laugh and for the heads-up.